New member Rosa C.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rcbrese, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Rcbrese

Rcbrese Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    Hi,

My name is Rosa and I was recommended to come join the Back yard chicken forums in the hopes of finding a rooster I obtained at a poultry swap here in Oregon a home.

I got him when I found he was think, weak, and ill. The lady selling him said he was just young and that's why he was thin. Turns out he had several issues. He had roundworms, coccodia levels were really high. But after $300 worth of treatment, he is back to health.

But he sadly has mycoplasma gallisepticum, which is a respiratory disease he cant be cured of. I am told that this is actually a common thing in flocks, large scale ones to be exact. Wild birds can bring it in as well.

I am not able to keep this rooster, but I am trying to find someone who is willing to keep him for the rest of his life. He is sweet and kind. He is a silkie cochin cross with smooth feathers, blue skin, and odd comb.

He is located in Independence Oregon and I am willing to meet half way or, if whom ever takes him is close enough, Ill drive him all the way.

If I cant find anyone to take him, his only other option is to be euthanized, which is what I don't want. He is just so sweet and deserves a real life and home after what he has been through. I cant stand the idea of putting him down but I wont have any other choice since I cant keep him.
    He has been to the vet, and I have all his records ready to send with him.

If anyone is willing to give him a home, please let me know
    Located in: Independence Oregon
    Breed: Silkie Cochin cross

email: [email protected]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]Hi and welcome! If you post this in the "Where am I, Where are You" forums you will be able to connect with folks from your state and hopefully find someone in your area who can give him a home. Just click on the forums tab and scroll down to "social" and it will pop up. Lots of luck!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! He's a handsome fella for sure. I wish you the best of luck in finding him a good home. He's had some fine medical care and deserves the best. How sad he may have to be euthanized. On the other hand, if he is exceptionally calm, he can serve as a teaching model for veterinary and veterinary students ( I noticed the x-ray viewer). I've taught many students who are interested in avian medicine by using a chicken to teach them how to radiograph, draw blood, collect fecals, tube feed and so forth.

4. Rcbrese

Nov 6, 2014
    Thank you. I am also planning on offering a set of chicken diapers to send with him if someone can take him and wants a house chicken. He would be a great house bird.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you joined us. Wish i had room for him, but don't, he is beautiful and i'm sure someone will want him.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, what a cutie pie!! My flock had the sister illness to MG, they had MS. I chose not to cull anybody and actually worked this bacteria completely out of my flock. Took one full year and a LOT of medications, surgeries, very sick birds. But I got everybody through it and back to great health. My birds are now free from MS.

I hope you can find him a nice home. I would take him if I was closer to you. :)

When you have 20 posts, definitely post an ad in our Buy Sell and Trade section. Good luck! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi Rosa, he is an unusually beautiful rooster - his coloring is really spectacular. I'm sure if you had his picture posted in the Buy,sell,trade forum, someone would grab him up. You do need 20 posts in order to participate in the selling, etc. forum. You can get the posts quickly on HERE, if you just greet some new members - like we are greeting you.

9. Rcbrese

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks.
    The thing is, now everyone is telling me I should have him euthanized because of the mycoplasma gallisepticum. Im told he can have reoccurring episodes of respiratory infections and weight loss. I am also told there are treatments that can help limit these episodes, and that also, we may never see him have one again. I just don't know what to do at this point. No one has been too helpful vet wise nor organizer wise. Ive been in tears thinking about him being put down. My head hurts and so does my stomach.

10. alica31

alica31 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Georgia
    Welcome to BYC, Rosa! He is a handsome roo- good luck finding him a new home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by