New Member rriley

rriley55

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2016
Hi, everyone, I wanted to introduce myself. I just become a new backyard chicken member. I have 5 adult chickens. My daughter had to move and couldn't take them with her. I am really enjoying taking care of my chickens. They come running as soon as I open the door to the backyard. I have been getting 2 to 3 eggs a day. It seems two of the chickens are not laying. I don't know if they are molting or they may be getting too old. If that is the case I will be looking for two new ones. I didn't realize how hard it is to find two adult laying hens. I live in GA so if anyone can give me some advice. I would love that

Thanks

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from Middle Georgia. Glad you have joined us.

Likely they have just gone thru a molt and may start laying again. For months, only 1 of my 4 hens has been laying ( all are almost 3 yo now) but the others have competed the molt and showing signs they may restart laying again. Hope that's what you are seeing.

But they do start to lay less often as they age.

It can be difficult to locate the breeders who don't advertise - if you are near Macon, there is a breeder in Lizella (don't recall the farm name) but they attend the Wesleyan Market and have several breeds at many ages available. You can check with your local Agriculture Agent - to get the Farmers Market Bulletin - they have ads for poultry and breeders to choose from.

Good luck with your flock. Enjoy the forums.

Hi. And welcome to our community - I hope you find what you are looking for.

All the best

Ct

Thank-you everyone for your good wishes and especially Sunflour and NorthFLChick for their great advice. I live 90 miles from Macon, but I could make a trip some time for new members of my chicken family. :) Thanks agin

Back
Top Bottom