New Member Samantha

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tuescat, Feb 22, 2014.

1. tuescat

tuescat New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Hello everyone! My name is Samantha and I'm from California.

I'm a newbie when it comes to raising chicks and chickens and I found that it is one of the most fulfilling things I've done in a while. My parents and I are building a coop and fixing our backyard up so we can raise the chickens our neighbor abandoned one year ago. We see these chickens as a part of our neighborhood and my mom got attached to them so much that it helped her deal with her own case of empty nest syndrome.

I'm setting up everything for my parents because when I head back to school (I'm vacationing for a semester here) in a few months.

So anyway, I'm raising a week old baby chick born on Valentine's Day named Pocoyo. When I found him, he/she was abandoned by his mother due to him not being able to walk due to spraddle leg. We are still trying to get it all fixed up and we hope that we can give him/her as comfortable life as our family pet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pocoyo loves to peck on my camera and my keyboard and my sketchbook. Anything I touch really lol.

Anyway, I can't wait to learn more from you guys. Hope to hear from you soon. :)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new baby and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope Pocoyo's leg straightens up.

1 person likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Your little one would likely do better with a chick friend or two, chickens are very social animals and human companionship is just not the same. This time of the year you may find chicks at a farm supply store, or you could look in the Social section of the Forum for your state thread and ask if anyone there has chicks.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Samantha, [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

Nice photo's of your chick [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. tuescat

tuescat New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Thank you for welcoming me :) I've been looking for a companion for him/her for a while and I even called a few stores and all of them said they would be selling them around march. I'm looking around craigslist too because I live in a huge farming community so I'm hoping I can get him a friend soon.

Right now I have a mirror, a stuffed animal, and a radio playing in the background when I can't be with Pocoyo while I'm working on my thesis. Thank you for telling me about the social section! I'll check it out and see if I have better luck.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you read up on spraddle foot - lots of people fix foot problems with bandaids, etc.

9. tuescat

tuescat New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Yep, I've done a week of research on it and I suspect it could be perosis (someone on another thread gave me a few links) but because I'm not sure I'm thinking of just taking it to the Vet instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by