1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member saying hello to everyone.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fuzzy Wunkles, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Fuzzy Wunkles

Fuzzy Wunkles The Critter Whisperer

Jun 8, 2011
    Fairfield County, CT
    HI! Everyone,

My name is Lisa , and I live in Fairfield,CT. I have just learned that we can have chickens here, and so I am interested in learning what I need to know raise them. I would like to get 2 Orpington Hens as I read they are good in cold weather and continue laying eggs in the winter. Is there anyone in CT that is selling them? How do I find places that do sell them? What do I need to know about them when purchasing them.

Sorry for all the questions...

2. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Well welcome to chicken raising family!!! If you build a big enough coop (or buy) I would recommend getting more that just two chickens. I started out with just two but I added two more then hatched two more. Currently I have 4 because one of the chicks I hatched turned out to be a rooster and well I live in the city so... yeah. I gave him to our local farm (He was a buff Orpington) then one of my Americanas got too noisy and so I gave her to the local farm too. My neighbor wanted chickens so we ordered some from "chickensforbackyards.com" He said I could get two because I helped him with his coop! So they will ship out soon!!! I can't wait!!! Below are some websites to order day-old baby chicks from:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

http://www.chickensforbackyards.com

http://www.randallburkey.com

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Check your local craigslist for your chicks, and the deifferent sections on here should have all the rest of the info.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California.

You could go to Index and then towards the bottom there are listings of birds and other things for sale. Try getting from a breeder. You could also try posting a WTB = Want To Buy add there and maybe someone can help you.

The other suggestions where good too.

There's a lot of good information on this forum and on the BYC site. You can try a search in the same line as the Index link and type in just about anything you want to know and it will probably give you lots to read.

Welcome to the crazy world of chickens!

5. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I have several different breeds of chickens but the Buff Orpingtons are my favorites. [​IMG] I hope you find exactly what you're looking for. You've already been given direction about where to look on the forum, so I'll leave it at that.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] You could post a want add on here (in the Buy/Sell/Trade section) , checkout your local Craigslist and freecycle, or just do a search online.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. Barred Babies