New member saying 'Hello!'

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rivers2011, May 12, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Hello all,
    I've been an avid reader of Backyard Chickens Forum since I got six little chicks last week (they were born Wednesday). Since I'm new to raising chickens, this has been an invaluable resource - and definitely one of the most friendly forums on the web, just like the registration page boasts.
    At first, I was planning on using my Columbia Rock chicks for both eggs and meat, but I've grown so attached to the little things - they might as well be puppies that this point.
    A question: has anyone had problems with putting chicks on pine bedding too early? I've been using that stuff since day one and just read yesterday that it can block their intestines and kill them. I often spot a couple of my chicks pecking at the pine shavings, but assumed that they'd spit it out after tasting it.
    Thanks a bunch!!
    ~River

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

I use the shavings, but someone is bound to give you a better option. I used to use alphalfa and for the life of me can't remember before that. I've used shredded paper a couple of times in an emergency.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

[​IMG] from Mississippi

I hatch hundreds of chicks a year, never had any problems with pine shavings myself.

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have always used shavings and have not had any problems. I have also used the pellet bedding (woody pet, equine pine) with no problems. I think as long as they have learned to eat from the feeder they will be fine. [​IMG]

6. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana

9. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Thank you everyone for your greetings and for the answers!
    I think I just get worried when the chicks are constantly pecking away at the pine...it may be out of boredom, so I'll have to make a trek to the Pet Store tomorrow to see if there's anything suitable. Will let people know if there's any toy in particular the chicks love!

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! [​IMG] Welcome from western Kentucky. I'm glad you decided to join us -- this is a great place to spend an hour or two! (or four, or seven, or all night.... [​IMG] ) Pull up a (comfy!) chair and stay a while! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by