New Member Saying Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by efournier, Mar 16, 2017.

1. efournier

efournier Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Maine
    Hi everyone,
    I am Emily Fournier. Although my BYC membership is new, I have been relying on the forums here to answer my weird chicken questions for a couple years now.
    I have been backyard chickening for 3 years and have expanded from 1 to 3 coops. I call my flock the Book Club Farm because all my chickens are named after female characters written by female authors. I currently have 12 chickens (7 of which are currently chicks). Last summer I lost most of my flock due to sickness that we couldn't seem to cure, but we seem to be doing pretty well now.
    I got into raising chickens (or as I call it "chickening") when I was a little girl, although I was an adult before I got my first chicken. My grandfather used to be an inspector for chicken farms and I always loved hearing his stories. My mom, as a result of my grandfather's work, grew up on a chicken farm and missed having chickens when she moved into town. My grandfather passed away a few years ago, that same year my town passed a new ordinance allowing backyard chickens. When I started preparing for my first set of chicks I had no idea how to care for chickens, just memories of stories from my grandfather. I researched and built a coop and got the chicks and fell in love. I am now known as "the chicken lady" by friends and strangers, I even have a chicken suit that I sometimes wear while tending to my chickens which the neighbor's kids get a huge kick out of.
    The coolest part, for me, about raising backyard chickens is getting to connect with so many other people. My neighbors and friends all buy eggs off of me (when I have them, we go through a lot of eggs at my house). My neighbor's kids come over and ask about the chickens and pet them. I always give them an egg straight from the coop when they come over, which to them is the coolest thing ever. People have come out of the woodwork to talk about chickens with me. I love meeting someone new and learning that they have chickens and instantly start swapping stories. It is not uncommon for people to hear me say something like "Anyone want to come pick up chicks with me" which my friends now think is a totally normal statement.
    It is so awesome to get to care for these beautiful birds and get to know their personalities.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :welcome

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Emily, Welcome to Backyard chickens. Now that you are "official," you can enter various BYC contests

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Emily, it's nice to have you here!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Emily, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Glad you made it official and became a member. Good luck and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am so glad you decided to join us today, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Emily [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear of your losses [​IMG] Love the chicken suit and thank you for a lovely introduction.

Our naming theme is all our gals being named after female singers.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

9. efournier

efournier Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Maine
    Teila, That's funny about the name theme. I had rescued some baby mice and named them Simon and Garfunkel, well, one got out and came back pregnant. She had 3 babies that I named Peter, Paul, and Mary. My husband and I decided if we ever have any more mice we will name them after singers. The naming of chickens after female characters started when I got my first batch. I wanted to name one Mrs. Dalloway and my husband, who I had just forced to read Jane Eyre, said we should name one Jane. He also thought we should name one Mrs. Bennett from Pride and Prejudice, but we changed that to Elizabeth Bennett. We decided that, since I majored in English Lit, we should start the tradition. We have a lot of fun coming up with names.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by