New Member says Merry Christmas!!!!

eneerglir

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 25, 2009
Hi! I am very excited to have found this chicken site. I'm a 1st grade teacher in Dallas TX and we are hopefully going to hatch several laying hens. I'm excited and my students are really excited. I am still in the starting up process. I'm trying to find out which chickens have the best tasting eggs and lay a lot:D
wee.gif
. I definitely want chickens of my own for laying eggs in my backyard. The problem is that I live in a neighborhood. Do you have to have a rooster? I hope someone can help me get started? Merry Christmas!!

I have good luck with delawares (brown eggs) and rhode island reds
You can have eggs with laying pellets but only a rooster will give you fertile
eggs to hatch more chicks
Hope that helps and
WELCOME

Merry Christmas to you and yours also

MIKE

There are so many types to choose from. May I reccomend Americana or Aricana for the blue or green eggs. The 1st graders would definitely get a kick out of that. As far as taste, they're all the same. You only have to get a rooster only if you want hatching eggs. The hens will lay breakfast without a roo.
MERRY CHRISTMAS &
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Merry Christmas! The neighborhood kids love my coop, I know your students will. I have a crowing hen - at least that was what I bought her as - she will prove to be one or the other soon. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

As long as the chickens are fed and raised in your own backyard, any breed will lay you delicious eggs. It's not the breed that decides how the eggs will taste. It's how they are raised.
wink.png
There are also many good layers out there. Anything in the Rock family (Barred, white, etc...) tend to be great layers and lay nice brown eggs for you, along with many other breeds. I would recommend that you look at this page. I will help you decide what you would like to raise.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom