1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member seeking advice on Campbell's And Indian runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Julieduck, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Julieduck

Julieduck New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    :) Hi there. Only just joined BYC, thanks for having me :D I was hoping you guys could help me with some advise?
    I have 2 Campbell's, 3 call ducks and 4 Indian runners. The Campbell's and call ducks I have had for 5 - 7 years now but the runners are new this year, the last 3 joining us 6 weeks ago.
    One of the runner ducks and my call duck both females seem to be fighting a lot when I let them out together, is this normal?
    My other question at what age do Campbell's stop laying (if they do), my girls haven't laid for months now, since Jemima, my apricot call duck, had her ducklings really, that was back in August. Is there something wrong with them? Do I need to take them to the vets? Hope you can help me :/
    Very anxious Mummy

Julie

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I don't have ducks (I'm a chicken person) but there is a thread called Runner Duck Club here on BYC, maybe someone there could help you out. Try doing a search for that thread.

Good luck, nice having you join us!

1 person likes this.
  3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Integrating new ducks into a flock can be tough. They will fight, and eventually sort out the pecking order. If it gets to rough, separate them, but make sure the can see and hear each other--it will help them get acclimated to each other.

My Campbells and Campbell mixes take a break from laying in the winter. I don't use artificial light. If your Campbell doesn't start to lay in the spring again, she may be done. 5 to 7 years of laying is pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks will slow down their laying. My Runners take longer rests between laying spells, but we still get a good number of eggs from them each year. They are five years old.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by