New Member Seeks Your Help - Old English Game Bantam gasping and straining to poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aussiegurl, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Aussiegurl

Aussiegurl New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    I reside in Australia in the South East Coast. Any help you guys can offer me would be greatly appreciated. I specifically joined this forum to get some advice from experienced chicken keepers.

1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Old English Game Bantam approximately 9 months old and about 982 grams.

~~2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Eating and drinking fine yesterday, except for sneezing and opening her beak a little to breathe. Pasty bum was noted. Suspected Gape Worm or Respiratory Disease. Treated with worming pills specifically for Gape Worm and also treated with Lincospectin for Respiratory Disease. 24 hours has now lapsed and she is walking strangely. She cannot jump without falling backwards on her bottom. Laid a perfect egg this morning so not egg bound, but has troubling pooping, and makes these noises like violent sneezing to force the poop out. Her breathing has also gradually worsened and if stressed, she is visibly craning her neck forward and gasping for breath. Appetite has decreased but she is still drinking. She has been moved to a secluded, warm spot inside.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Noticed it yesterday, 24 hours ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No - I have 11 others.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    No idea. She free-ranges during the day on the property. Suspect a number of possibilities including Botulism or Marek's. It seems like some sort of paralysis that is coming on gradually.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She free ranges and has access to good quality mash, scratch, spinach, watermelon, tinned sardines etc.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny?
    Normal poop looks fine but her bottom is pasty, and covered with chicken urates. It's obvious that she struggles to push out poops properly. No blood. Cecal poops look quite runny, but I administered her with an Epsom Salt flush this morning in case she has eaten something toxic.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    24 hours ago, Avitrol Plus administered to the bird directly. It's the only wormer in Australia which treats for all worms including Gape Worm. Also 24 hours ago, administered the correct dose of Lincospectin which is a the antibiotic prescribed by my Avian Vet to control Coryza, Mycoplasma and other respiratory diseases.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I need help identifying this disease until I get to the Avian vet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aussiegurl

Aussiegurl New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    Actually she is eating quite well again. She has quite an appetite for mash. She pooped just recently and although she strained, she didn't make those violent sneezing noises to expel it. Not sure if it's due to the Epsom Salt Flush though.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by