New Member, Sick Chick!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by djrazberryjamz, May 26, 2016.

1. djrazberryjamz

djrazberryjamz New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Hi, I'm Sydney :) We have 6 chicks that are 3 weeks old. One, that i thought was maybe just a runt at first, is very ill. She barely moves, won't eat or drink, and has watery, bright yellow and green poops, but no blood. I fed her some yogurt water through an eye dropper, which she took sparingly, and gave her a very short epsom salt bath because she just wanted to flutter onto the edge of the bowl. After the yogurt water, she got more active, eating a couple small pecks of food, but not the water, in which I have electrolytes and probiotics. She's in her own space so she's not contagious or compeating for food or water. Won't really move from under the heat lamp even though it's plenty warm in there. Help please, anything would be great. [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear you have an under the weather chick. I would not try to bath her anymore, this could cause her more stress which is not good while she is sick. You could try her with some hard boiled chopped egg or scrambled egg. I have found this very beneficial to sick birds. Soaked chick food is also good to get some fluids into her. If she won't drink keep giving her as much as you can with a dropper. Usually just putting a tiny amount near the side of the beak encourages them to drink it.

Please do pop by the link CT left for you too. Good luck with her :fl

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    she may take water if you put a bit of sugar in it.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you checked to see if she has pasty butt?

7. djrazberryjamz

djrazberryjamz New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Yes, no pasty butt. She also seems to be shuddering often, maybe weezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by