New Member signing in!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FluffyFarm, Nov 17, 2013.

1. FluffyFarm

FluffyFarm New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Hi, I'm Stef and I got some chicken about 2 1/2 years ago to have healthy organic free range eggs.

I started with 6 hens - no rooster, my husband was adamant about that, now I have 42 including 4, one yr old roosters that live happily together with 6 hens in a second run. I let them free range on a day on day off basis, so everybody get out and about.

I have Rhode Island reds (2) a fair few red sexlinks, a couple of astrolopes (bas spelling - sorry) a lot of Black Jersey Giants, which Is where my first rooster came from - she was a large hen, we thought. He is awesome, we stopped weighing him when he hit 20 lbs at 9 months. He is as gentle as a lamb but we have not lost a hen form his coop since we got him. He has 21 hens with him.

The Rooster coop has a RIR x BJG rooster - offspring from the other coop - he is beautiful - sweet, gentle, just like daddy. A French copper Maran x Big black Jersy Giant - beautiful bird, great colour and again, great personality. A Pure well bred French copper Maran Rooster - nice boy too, and the rooster in charge, my tiny blue silkie rooster. Along with them there are a mix of Copper Maran girls, Copper Maran x girls and Wyadottes (yukky personalities) 3 white silkies and a black silkie then some jersey crosses with whatever was in the egg production run.

1 more coop, as I got into silkies and LOVE them. I have started to breed show Partridge Silkies. The are not as practical as the tractor supply ones, as they are no show birds but they can free range - these ones can't really. They free range in their mobile coop/run. But they coo for you and love to be held.

I found BackYard chickens by accident, search the web one night - WHAT LUCK!

I have heaps of hobbies - I have a small plant nursery, specializing is Hostas. I love horses and do Bowenwork (a type of bodywork) and EMRT - which is a type of bodywork on horses. I have written, illustrated and had those two books published by an outside publisher. I paint, when I have time, the list goes on. I love to learn.

I am happily married to a wonderful supportive husband who allows me to feed my addictions. We have three challenging kids who keep me on my toes as they are homeschooled. 3 horses, 3 dogs and a 12 ac farm we are trying to become self sufficient on.

By the way, we ended up getting so many chickens as people at church kept asking as if they could buy our spare eggs. :)

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio.

getting a few more hens because of selling eggs - yep thats about how it starts LOL.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. FluffyFarm

FluffyFarm New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Yep - I just can't help myself - my husband thinks I can though! [​IMG] One day he'll work it out.

7. FluffyFarm

FluffyFarm New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Sounds like an awesome flock! I bet you love every one of them to death. Mine are all named - yours too? Thanks for the welcome.

8. FluffyFarm

FluffyFarm New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    First - GREAT Graphics - I am slight computer challenged and second - I have no idea what the letter was for the party so I wont ask, oh and thanks for the welcome :)

9. FluffyFarm

FluffyFarm New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome - is your photo of a Frizzle a Sizzle or something else? Very cute though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by