New Member to the henhouse

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by melendezkdm, Sep 16, 2012.

1. melendezkdm

melendezkdm New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Albuquerque
    Although I grew up on a farm, I have been away from chickens for nearly 40 years. Some friends in the AirForce were transferring away, so we bought their chickens and I have rescued 3 more. Right now we have 7 hens and 2 chicks. Four are Rhode Island Reds, on Leghorn, one Americana and one which may be a Plymouth or Barred Rock. The last 3 are the rescues and two were beat up by a turkey; the Americana and the Plymouth. The Plymouth has a lot of missing feathers, and I have put the medicine on her to discourage pecking, as I have some of the Rhode Island Reds.

My BackYardChickens was one of the first sources I searched out for information on a chicken. I have one that is egg bound, but is doing pretty well with that. My plan this week is to get her some help.

My other hobbies are organic gardening, music, robotics and rocketry. I am a mom, and grandma. Teaching middle school STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) is may day job and my backyard farm is my therapy.

My only dog, a 16 year old poodle died recently, but my daughter has a Yorky which is 2 years old. He is my biggest menace. As a pup he chewed up all my drip system, so I fenced in all my raised beds with chicken wire. Last year he killed one of my rabbits, which escaped. Right after we got the hens, 3 escaped from the pen and he killed them. To say the least, I dislike him greatly and he gets locked in the house when we go to the pen.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your poodle [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your troubles.

4. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

sorry for ur loses, i feel ya, it's not easy to forgive when you have taken from ya.

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello, so sorry for your loses..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, melendezkdm, and [​IMG]! Great to have you. We have something in common - I, too, am in education and my poultry is my therapy! Great avatar!!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC[​IMG] Sorry for your losses

9. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Welcome to BackYard Chickens from NY! Tell that Yorkie he is on thin ice! Your rescues are lucky to have you!

[​IMG]Nice to have you![​IMG]

MB

10. LinkieLueville

LinkieLueville Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Winlock Wa
    Oh welcome! I'm new here as well. This website has giving me so much priceless information. So sorry to hear about your poodle. It's so sad that we only have a handful of years with our four legged babies. As far as a yorkie goes, I've always thought that little dogs were only good for drop kicking. :/ I can't stand their barking and how most of them pee when they get excited. Bleh. Hope all your hens settle in and find their place!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by