New Member to this site...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WAmicrofarmer, Feb 11, 2016.

1. WAmicrofarmer

WAmicrofarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    Hello all.!!!

I am a new member but have been using this website for about a year. This place is PACKED with excellent information on raising and caring for your backyard buddies and some of the most informative members I have found anywhere on the internet.
    So...I just wanted to say thanks to every member here for making this a great website.

On our micro farm we have two Nigerian dwarf Goats, six chickens of various breeds, four heritage turkeys(two Black Spanish, one Bourbon Red, and a Narragansett) and two mini Australian spotted Ducks.

Our biggest problem with our backyard buddies has been birds of prey...Hawks and Owls. Someone on this site had mentioned getting a couple of owl decoys to deter raptors and so far its worked like a charm. so, thanks again.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC as a member, not a lurker [​IMG] I think most of us used this site a bit before joining. Theres a thread on microforms i seem to recall -not sure if you have seen it.

I know what you mean about hawks - they can be a real pain. I hope that your decoys continue to deter the real ones!

All the best
    CT

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the BYC flock, hope the raptors don't get used to your owl decoys and ignore them. The predator section should have more tips.

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Predators are the bane of every poultry keeper and once they know where to get a good meal, they just keep coming back. If you free range your chickens, losing one to an occasional predator happens. Maybe you'd want to consider keeping them in a covered run or use a chicken tractor to move them around your property with some protection.

Good luck to you!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. doc637

doc637 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2016
    Welcome to BYC! Great to see another person with heritage turkeys.

9. WAmicrofarmer

WAmicrofarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    Thanks to everyone for the info in your replies. I've been going outside every night for a few weeks, so far the owl decoys seem to be working, I move them around to different locations every few days. We had an incident during the middle of the day with a hawk that was caught inside the chicken coop a while back.

We added a couple blue slate turkey hems to our flock, hoping for some chicks in the next few months.
    Hope everyone flocks are doing well [​IMG]

10. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by