1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member, Wanted to Share my Chicken Coop (pictures)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by acechicks, May 16, 2011.

1. acechicks

acechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    West Michigan
    We are in the process of building our first chicken coop. Our chicken do not arrive until the end of June but we want to make sure it's ready for them. I have spend a lot of time on here looking at the the great chicken coop and all the great information. So i thought i would share what we have so far.

2. acechicks

May 9, 2011
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are my two little helpers. Who are very excited for the chicken to arrive.

3. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Beautiful coop, beautiful family! [​IMG]

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Looks like it's going to be a really nice coop! Can't wait for more pictures. [​IMG]

5. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    great job...your boys are adorable and going to LOVE their chicks. i have a 3 year old and every day he looks for bugs, worms to give his chicks. he also feeds them everyday and takes his duties VERY seriously.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Lovely! As you're finishing it out, don't forget to include at least 1 square foot of ventilation per chicken!

7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    [​IMG]

Nice work! And 6 weeks before you even get the chicks! WOW! [​IMG]

My 4 year old grandson feeds the chicks too. When they carry on, he goes to see what's the matter.

Ditto Elmo's comment about ventilation.

8. lambeke1

lambeke1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Good job. I've been doing the same thing. Chicks duein this Friday. Started on my coop (converting old boat shed) Sunday.

9. acechicks

May 9, 2011
    West Michigan
    Thanks for all the great comments and feedback. My older son Carver ask every other day if the chicks are in the mail yet. If you ask him what he going to have to do when they get here he says feed them give them water and collect the eggs with a smile on his face. I never thought about him collecting bugs for the chickens. He loves finding bugs and i bet the chicken will love him for sharing.

When it comes to the vent. I have tried to gather as much information as possible. We live in Michigan so summer and pretty hot and winters are pretty cold. We are going to have a ridge vent, 14 by 14 gable vent on each end, 1 by 8 foot vent on the south side (which you can not see in the pictures) that with have a door on it so we con control how much air it lets in, and a 31 by 40 anderson window that cranks open (free from my dad). I would love to know what people think? I hope it's enough ventilation.

10. acechicks

May 9, 2011
    West Michigan
    Here is an updated picture of the coop. We got the roof done, insulation up, and sheeting up in the inside. Next step is insulating and sheeting the ceiling, framing out the windows and trim. We are getting there [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by