New member - what breed is this guy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tony Al, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Tony Al

Tony Al Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    I bought young chicks from a local feed & seed store a little before Easter this year. The bin they were in was labeled Rhode Island Reds - supposed to have been all hens. However, turned out to be a Rooster - not unhappy about that. But what breed is he? (Not sure the hens are RIR either).[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    He looks like a gold sex link. Interesting he has no tail. Hen is definitely not a RIR. Looks like a game X.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Were they labeled specifically as RIR - or as "Red pullets" -- I ask because many feed stores have gone to using the latter for bins full of various breeds of red birds (including Red Sex Links) .....Tractor Supply specifically......and folks buy them thinking they mean RIR and are surprised when they get RSL, RIR, PR, etc.

4. Tony Al

Oct 24, 2014
    Won't swear to it now cuz I don't remember the actual labeling. I just remember that I thought I was buying Rhode Island Reds. I'm not unhappy - I didn't really now one breed from another. I just wanted to have some chickens for eggs and meat. I'm getting plenty of eggs - haven't had any meat and may not. I'm looking for one to start sitting eggs just to grow the flock. I love watching them.

5. Tony Al

Oct 24, 2014
    The hen in this picture was purchased separately. I think she is a game x, like you say. I've gotten a couple of bantams recently also.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This...the bins are often "red" birds. Then again, it could well have been labelled Rhode Island Reds and just got the wrong batch of chicks, that happens all the time at feed stores like TSC. Agree he's a red sex link rooster. Breeding him to your variety of red hens will give offspring that are red and white, mostly, not sex linked, but the pullets should still be wonderful layers and the males large enough to eat.

7. Tony Al

Oct 24, 2014
    Ahhh. I didn't give a description - not experienced at posting here & thought the picture would show, but it doesn't really. Another person thought he is a Gold Sex Link. You say definitely a Red Sex Link. This guy is white, with brown across the wings and some in the back. He has a definite gold coloring, especially the neck and upper back and chest. He's meaner than a snake too. I appreciate the help.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Red Sex Link/Gold Sex Link is actually the same thing. It is a "sex linked" cross breed that uses a red male over a silver female and results in chicks that hatch with males being white and females being red - maturing with white males with red/gold markings and brown/red females with white markings. They are also often sold as Golden Comets, Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens and various other names (including proprietary names such as ISA Brown, Lohman Brown, etc which are specific to certain hatcheries)

1 person likes this.
  9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Doesn't matter what breed he is. He's history.

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He looks like a Red Sex-link to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by