New Member with a BIG problem...

Teresa J

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Hello everyone...I have been coming to this site over the past several years to read articles and other things relating to keeping chickens and have received so much helpful info! I am excited to participate in some of the conversations you have with fellow 'chicken lovers'. I have a brood of 12 chickens total, Rhode Island Reds, Americanas and Astrolorps with one big RIR Roo named Rocky. My entire family consists of 1 wonderful husband of 23 years, 2 teenage daughters, 4 cats, a Budgie and a Russion Tortoise. Sadly, we lost our big boy Bullmastiff to cancer about a month ago
sad.png

My big problem is that a few weeks ago I cracked open one of the brown eggs and it was NASTY! Dark green and watery with the most putrid smell I have ever experienced. It took hours with open doors and windows to get rid of. I have since had about 1 a week and have NO idea which hen is laying them. The girls all seem healthy and happy. I have been incredibly fortunate in that I have never had to deal with a sick chicken or any egg 'issues' ever in the 6-7 years I have kept chickens...so I am totally perplexed. Can anyone give me some advice on what this could be and how to stop it? Thank You!

I will give you a "bump" which will help others see this and they may have an answer!

So sorry I can't help......

Good luck!

It sounds like bacteria are getting into the egg somehow. I wonder if she is laying eggs with pinpoint holes which then let the germs from the poop in. Or maybe the bacteria are in the hen. Just guesses, probably wild ones.

I'll give you a link to a good reference about egg problems, and send you best wishes to get this resolved!

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/11/egg-defects

And welcome to our forum! Sorry it was a problem that brought you here.

Back
Top Bottom