New Member with a BIG problem...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Teresa J, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Teresa J

Teresa J New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    Hello everyone...I have been coming to this site over the past several years to read articles and other things relating to keeping chickens and have received so much helpful info! I am excited to participate in some of the conversations you have with fellow 'chicken lovers'. I have a brood of 12 chickens total, Rhode Island Reds, Americanas and Astrolorps with one big RIR Roo named Rocky. My entire family consists of 1 wonderful husband of 23 years, 2 teenage daughters, 4 cats, a Budgie and a Russion Tortoise. Sadly, we lost our big boy Bullmastiff to cancer about a month ago [​IMG]

My big problem is that a few weeks ago I cracked open one of the brown eggs and it was NASTY! Dark green and watery with the most putrid smell I have ever experienced. It took hours with open doors and windows to get rid of. I have since had about 1 a week and have NO idea which hen is laying them. The girls all seem healthy and happy. I have been incredibly fortunate in that I have never had to deal with a sick chicken or any egg 'issues' ever in the 6-7 years I have kept chickens...so I am totally perplexed. Can anyone give me some advice on what this could be and how to stop it? Thank You!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow, that is something I've never heard of! A chicken laying a fully rotten egg? Does the shell look normal?

3. Teresa J

Teresa J New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    It does look normal but is rather dirty....

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I will give you a "bump" which will help others see this and they may have an answer!

So sorry I can't help......

Good luck!

5. greenmtngirl

greenmtngirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Vermont
    Ugh, I had no idea that was even possible!

6. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Hello from South Carolina [​IMG]

Thats a rotten egg! [​IMG]

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It sounds like bacteria are getting into the egg somehow. I wonder if she is laying eggs with pinpoint holes which then let the germs from the poop in. Or maybe the bacteria are in the hen. Just guesses, probably wild ones.

I'll give you a link to a good reference about egg problems, and send you best wishes to get this resolved!

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/11/egg-defects

And welcome to our forum! Sorry it was a problem that brought you here.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by