New Member with a first-timer question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by woodsmanswife, Oct 5, 2011.

1. woodsmanswife

woodsmanswife New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    I am a new member in Oklahoma. I have raised chickens for about 10 years and this is the first time I have ever encountered this problem. I purchased chicks for the first time from a store that had been sexed by the hatchery. They put a metal band through the wing bones of each of the pullets. I have never encountered this before as I have always purchased directly from another hatchery. I don't know what to do about those bands. Do I leave them or remove them? If I remove them, what is the best way to do it?

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas and it's cruel to put metal bands on the wing bones of chickens since it does hurt them.

3. woodsmanswife

woodsmanswife New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    I agree! They peep like crazy if I even bump the clip! I don't have the stomach to hurt them in order to help them. I feel like such a whimp but I am quite sure they are supposed to be removed. It will certainly affect their growth.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I would think bands through the wing bones is cruel also! [​IMG] I don't know how you would remove them either. Hopefully, someone will come along shortly. [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us here! [​IMG]

5. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Have someone help you. Someone can carefully hold the bird, than you can use 2 hands to peel apart the clip, use pliers if you need to. but those have got to go. Better to hurt them a little bit now, then to let those get imbedded into their wings, cause infections and be realyl difficult to remove later!

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some breeders swear by wing bands to identify individual birds because you can put more information on them but I've only used leg bands so far.

7. woodsmanswife

woodsmanswife New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    I am glad to be here too! A good friend of mine told me about BYC and I didn't truly understand what you do here. It is great! I'm not exceptionally computer literate so it takes me multiple times to learn how to post messages, etc. but I think I've at least figured out how to get help. I suppose that's how we learn best, when we're desperate!

8. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would remove those metal bands off of those poor chicks immediately as it's cruel and it hurts them alot.

9. woodsmanswife

woodsmanswife New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    Thank you for helping answer my question. I may pass out doing it, but I'll have my DH help me. Sigh.... I vote for leg bands. Snip and you're done.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I believe I'd find out which hatchery from the store, and call them and ask; I certainly have no idea. Maybe the store has some literature that the hatchery sent with the chicks.

Yuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by