new member with a question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minimonkmom, Sep 29, 2010.

1. minimonkmom

minimonkmom New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Hi, I found this site from just looking around and also another lady who is a member told me about it when I purchased a few chickens from her.
    We got our 6 chickens as pets for my grand daughter and also wanted the fresh eggs. Three of them the road island red, barred rock, and a sebright banny she raised from aoubt 2 weeks old. They were purchased in April but have not started laying yet. She carries these chickens around when shegoes into the pen and sings to them and talks to them.
    My question is - Will it keep them from laying her carring them around and holding them so much?
    Thanks minimonkmom
    (the come from the fact that I also raise tamarin monkeys)

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I dont think it would make then late to lay, as long as they arent stressed out. Heritage breeds sometimes take longer to lay, sometimes they are over 25 weeks old before they lay their first egg. I had a chicken hatched in March and she laid her first egg yesterday, dont worry, the eggs will come when the hens are ready.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    i do not think that picking a hen up will deter laying at all! in fact, holding the birds will make them more friendly and a whole lot nicer than just leaving them alone.
    About the not laying :sometimes the birds (especilayy if they are young) wont lay for a while....i had 3 leghorn hens, and two of them started laying in june and the last didnt lay until early august! the birds should start laying by the time they are around 8 months old. hope this helps! [​IMG]

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    They'll probably all keep being very sweet, since they were raised that way! All our hens were handled daily by my youngest, and they are very tolerant and affectionate birds. When they do start laying, tell her to be very careful, or avoid handling them too much before they have laid that day to help prevent a possible internal broken egg.

5. minimonkmom

minimonkmom New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks for your help. This will make grand daughter happy knowing she can still hold and cuddle her chickens.
    minimonkmom

6. CoupeDeVille

CoupeDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    New Hartford, Ct.
    [​IMG] minimonkmom !!

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Hi and welcome from Oregon!

8. alaskachick