New member with a question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sharon53, Nov 14, 2010.

1. sharon53

sharon53 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Hi everyone! I'm actually a returning member & I have a question. We have turkeys, a turke rooster, a red star hen, a black star hen, 4 bantam roosters & 6 bantam hens. The question is how many bantam eggs equal one large chicken egg?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Welcome back! Depends on the bantam. Eggs from a Serama for example are super tiny, where eggs from a d'uccle are a little more substantial. Also depends on the age of the bird. Usually you can say 3 bantam eggs = 1 large egg, unless they are unusually small or large. [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome back to BYC.

4. sharon53

sharon53 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks to all who responded! Our smallest hen is a mille fleur (sorry if I spelled that wrong). Then there are 4 cochin bantams, & a silver seabright. I guess I should mention that all our birds are pets, and the eggs are just a bonus.
    Second question, though. Our bantams were hatched in April. Will they experience a noticable molt this fall?

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:No, the bantams won't molt. On average, a bantam egg is half or almost that of a real egg... but the question is kind of like saying "How big are eggs?", it can vary.

6. KooKoe

KooKoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    well, I have 4 cochin bantam hens and my rusk recipe calls for 4 large eggs, so I usually use about 6 bantam eggs. hope that helps.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Oh, and [​IMG]

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson and [​IMG] We're glad you came back! Who were you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by