New member with a sick chicken

blusky13

Hatching
May 8, 2015
Hello all. I have been using this site as a reference tool over the past few years. I love it, but now need some advice. I have a Barred Rock approx 2yrs old. Noticed last week she was just sitting in the yard. Picked her up & noticed maggots in a hole below her vent. Got all maggots out with daily Epsom salt baths & tweezing then out. I have been feeding her yogurt,applesauce, egg, baby rice cereal with a syringe. I noticed a round with yesterday in her poop and have wormed her. The hole seems to be drying up (using vinegar,water & small part Listerine: recommended by feed store). She still is not eating on her own, is drinking a little water with probiotics in it. My problem now is she seems to be "burping?" She hold up her head, stretches out her neck & opens her mouth. Almost like mouth breathing. Not consistant though. Any idea what this might be? Any other suggestions on what else I can be doing for her?

The flystrike was probably caused by runny poo sticking to the feathers near her vent. The runny poo was probably caused by the worms that you noticed and treated for. When you fed her from the syringe where you very careful? It's very easy to cause a chicken to aspirate (breath in) what you're trying to give them. If you open a chicken's mouth, the tube in very middle of the back of the throat is their windpipe, not their esophagus.

Last edited:
I read about flystrike and figured it was that. I have been using the syringe to the side of her mouth. She has become to spunky to try and open her mouth. I thought I was being careful hopefully I didn't make things worse. She still isn't walking either. No bumblefoot. Any treatment for possible aspiration? Thank you

Aspiration can cause pneumonia, usually this can be treated with an antibiotic and rest. Flystrike can also cause a chicken to be septic. When dealing with the possibility of several potential infections, an antibiotic at this point couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Is it possible she has gape worm? You could have more than one problem wearing her down. Poor girl. I hope she will improve.

Has anyone ever used this product on on open wound on a chicken. She had maggots which were removed. Wound is drying up. She still is having a hard time walking. I believe from being weak

Back
Top Bottom