New member with ? about adding standard chickens to bantams

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by a2ms4chickens, Jan 8, 2008.

1. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi everyone! I am a new member, but I've been reading your posts for a few months, and I love this BYC forum.
    So, who better to turn to when I have a question, and would like your opinions.

Right now I have 4 RIR bantams, 1 rooster, and 3 hens.

I really want to add some standards for the bigger eggs. I'm thinking about buff orpingtons, barred rocks, australorps, maybe some standard RIR's.

I thought about getting some older standard pullets/hens, but am concerned about mixing them with my bantams.

So, I was wondering about getting some standard chicks, and by the time they are old enough to be put in the chicken pen, I think they would be about the same size as the bantams. (I'm not sure how big standards are at about 5 weeks). Of course, they would be in separate pens for a few weeks, so they would get used to each other, before I put them together.

What do you think would be the easiest and safest way to introduce standards with bantams?

Thanks!!!
    Angie

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  2. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I always put my new arrivals in a small cage and place them in the coop where the others can see them. I do this for at least 5-10 days. After they are used to each other, I let them all out of the coop together to roam. They usually stay in their groups. I do this for a few days always placing the new ones back in their cages at night. After doing this for a few days, I let the new ones out of their cages inside the coop and I stay there to supervise. There will be some pecking, but as long as there is room for the new ones to get away, there won't be a problem. I do this for several days. Finally, I just leave them unattended and watch from a distance. Normally, over a period of about a month they all get along fine except for the normal pecking order thing.

I have done this process 4 times with new batches of chickens and it has worked every time.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yes, I would separate them so they can each other, but the bantams can't attack them, for a little while. You could also try supervised free-ranging sessions if that is possible, where you would let them mingle together, but if anyone starts something you are right there to stop it.
    Welcome to BYC...and hey...that's my name [​IMG] [​IMG] !!

4. a2ms4chickens

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you for your opinions. I figured that is what I would have to do when introducing any new chickens.

Ok, so now I am excited to get some chicks. [​IMG]

Our feed store will have some in a couple of weeks, so I have to come up with a brooder set up. After seeing all the different brooders on BYC, I'm sure I can get my DH to come up with something.

I'll let ya know what I end up getting and if I figure out how to get pics on here, I'll post them.

Thanks again!!!

Angie

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I got mine the other way round, standards first.... BUT when the standards were the same size as the bantams - I added 4 bantams to the group - 3 hens, 1 roo to the 8 standards....
    I got the bantams from a family member - they were 20 weeks, the standards were about 10-12 weeks.

I took the bantams in the coop at nightfall, and just left them in the coop - they didn't sleep together the first night, but after that it was fine, they just got along - no HUGE fights or anything....

6. a2ms4chickens

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks Wildsky, that makes me feel a little better about introducing them when they are about the same size.

Hopefully, my chickens will be as cooperative as your chickens were.

I am new to this, but am really looking forward to getting some new chicks. [​IMG]

These members who say that after reading this forum, you will end up with a lot more chickens than you planned to get, are not kidding.

The chickens we started with were for a 4-H project. Now I want some chickens of my own, especially after my RIR's started giving me some eggs.

Angie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by