New member with Buff Orp Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by C & A s Dad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    We are now about 4 weeks into our Buff Orp chicks and they are getting more beautiful by the day. We will be moving them from our house to their house pretty soon.

I could not find any locally so we ordered them from My Pet Chicken and they are healthy, active and very pretty.

Thia gives us 4 chicks and one hen about 4 months old.

The hen was a roadside rescue from a truck hauling them to the production plant. I rescued a rooster and a hen but the roo died about 3 weeks ago. They were apprx 5 weeks old when we got them and they both weighed nearly 5 pounds. The roo simply outgrew his heart and I bet he weighed nearly 10 pounds when he died.

There is something just not right about producing any animal to grow at that rate.

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your babies. We always love pics on here.

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Hello [​IMG] and [​IMG] You'll love being a chicken farmer and being here at BYC! It's very addictive. [​IMG]

4. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Good luck with your chicks and [​IMG]-byc ! Yes, I agree. Us BYCer's love pictures.....[​IMG]

5. C & A s Dad

Jun 30, 2008
    Am I correct, the only way to post pics is from a website like snapfish or photobucket?

6. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    There's also an Uploads feature at the top of the forum page that you can use to post a limited number of pics. It's really quick and pretty simple to use. It has to be simple for me to figure it out! [​IMG]

7. C & A s Dad

Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  8. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Cute kids! And it seems to be working now! [​IMG]

9. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Congratulations on the feathered additions to your family! What a wonderful experience for your children, having a hen who was saved from the processing plant. [​IMG]

BYC is a terrific place - there's a lot of wisdom here. Welcome aboard from a fellow newbie!

10. C & A s Dad

Jun 30, 2008
    We put the chicks in the run and hen house today for a little while to test the hens reaction. She did ok but went after them a couple of times. It seems she was saying, this is my house, get out.

I will have to wait another week or two before I can put them in there on their own.

I plan to post some pics of my run and hen house tomorrow. It has been a long labor of love getting it complete.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by