1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New Member with coop design (and not much else)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mrs Church's Chickens, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Mrs Church's Chickens

Mrs Church's Chickens Hatching

Aug 27, 2010
    At this point, I'm really just looking for advice on this thing. It will have roosts inside and a ramp that I didn't sketch. Are the open windows okay or should I make them decorative? Will the vent in the bell tower be enough? Would it be okay to leave a string hanging down from the bell for the birds to use as a toy? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Crowing 11 Years

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    How many chickens are you planning on keeping in there? Nix the string...afraid they might try and swallow it. What is your location? Weather will define how to build your coop.

3. Mrs Church's Chickens

Aug 27, 2010
    Just two. I live in the Panhandle of Texas, lots of dry hot summers and fairly mild winters. We had a very wet one this past year, and an unusually wet year all around. There is always a wind problem.

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Leave the windows - make them bigger, even. Chickens are more cold tolerant than heat tolerant, and the more ventilation the better in warm climates. And no string - there have been many posts on here about chickens eating string and having it really mes up their intestines. Very cute, buy the way!!

5. featherbaby

featherbaby Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    You probably could use more ventilation. What about a screened window above the nesting boxes on the back wall?

The design is WAY TOO CUTE! I love it...... but........ I predict you will wish you'd made it twice the size before very long.
    4' x 8' is the standard size of plywood, what if you made it 3'6" wide and 7' long (that leaves room for a roof overhang without having to buy another sheet of plywood to piece the roof). There's something about keeping chickens that leads to wanting more chickens. It's practically universal. This way you can keep 7-8 bantam sized chickens with plenty of room to move.

6. Mrs Church's Chickens

Aug 27, 2010
    Cool. Thanks! [​IMG]

7. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:You will definitely wish you'd made it bigger -- this is good advice! [​IMG]

Also, I see that your nesting boxes are only 8" high at the highest point. You'll want a minimum of 12" in height. Minimum nest box dimensions for standard size chickens is 12"x12"x12". You wouldn't want cramped hens. [​IMG]

Very cute design! Keep us posted on your progress! And...[​IMG]

8. JenO

JenO In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Newberg, OR
    What about a chain for the toy bell? WAY cute, btw.

9. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    That is so darn cute! It's the chicken chapel! I love it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: