New member with cross beak

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lytle, Mar 11, 2014.

1. lytle

lytle New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    I have 2, 3-4 day old Golden Comet chicks from a tractor store. One is missing an eye and has a severe cross beak. I'm hand and syringe feeding her, but dont know how much or how often to feed. Can anyone help please?[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]
    Poor chick! Please post in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries & Cures section of the forum. Good luck!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Poor baby! You will need to learn how to hand feed this baby. He may learn over time how to eat with his cross beak, but until then you will need to help him. There is a good thread here on cross beaks. Let me see if I can find it....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-special-needs-chickens-and-their-keepers

If you need to, you can PM some of these members that have had experience with their disabled birds. Here is another good link to tube feeding a cross beak and other tips as well...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ds-chickens-including-tube-feeding-techniques

Good luck with your baby. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Poor chick, TwCrows gave you good advice, good luck with the little baby.

5. lytle

lytle New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Thanks! Those are great articles.I am tubing her but I'm wondering how much should she be tube fed at a time, and how often? She's only a few days old and her crop seems to fill with just 2-3 cc's at a time. It gets about grape sized. Thanks again for the info!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are already a pro! I would feed her every few hours....enough that the crop seems empty in 2 or so hours and then feed again. Make sure the food it not too cold or hot. This can cause burns to the crop or chill the baby. You are doing great!!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Does the chick eat on it's own at all?

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]Glad you joined us!

9. lytle

lytle New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    She drinks water fine, but has just started to peck at the feed. She doesnt get much. There are 2 deep feed dishes so her sister can't hog them both.

10. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by