New Member with poop & 'possum ?s

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amytheangel_81, Dec 13, 2007.

1. amytheangel_81

amytheangel_81 New Egg

Dec 13, 2007
    I was doing some research about why my cute little toy poodle might be eating chicken poop. And it brought me to this website. Since my husband and I have a backyard flock of 23 chickens - 21 laying hens and 2 roosters, I thought this might not be a bad place for advice. I can't wait to learn from all of y'all (I'm from NC!).

1. Do any of y'all have a Great Pyrenees as a livestock guard dog for your chickens? We're thinking about getting one, and I want to make an informative decision.

2. How do you keep 'possums out of the coop if your birds are free range?

Look forward to learning!
    Amy 0[​IMG] from NC

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Dont have a Grt Pyrennes, but to keep your chickens safe it is a good idea to close them in at night in a predator proof coop. At least as predator proof as you can make it!

Randy

3. crazy4chicsinBC

crazy4chicsinBC Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2007
    Abbotsford, B.C.
    We just got a great Pyr, she is a wonderful dog and hangs out with the chickens most of the day, nothing can get within 100 yards of them without "Suki" going crazy. However, she is a "pet" and I don't leave her outside at night. I think my coop is pretty "predator safe"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Welcome to the group from a fellow Tar Heel!

Your dog is eating chicken poo because it must taste good. My dogs can't wait for their chance to get into the chicken fence so they can gobble up all the treats.

I've given up fighting it - just make sure they don't 'kiss' me afterwards...blech!

As far as the Pyr - several here have experience with them as guard dogs - I'll leave it to them to answer...

For possum-proofing...Bury hardware cloth around your coop/pen bottom at least 6" deep and then have it extend outwards from for another 12" or so. That will deter any digging. Make sure any latches are secured with spring clips, etc.

Use hardware cloth in lieu or, or in addition to regular chicken wire. Chicken wire is pretty flimsy stuff and coons and dogs can get right through it.

If you already have a possum problem, use a Have-A-Heart type trap and bait with something smelly like sardines or smelly canned food. Once they start sniffing around, trapping is your best bet.

Welcome again to the nicest forum on the internet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by