New member with poorly chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by danielledavies, Feb 12, 2017.

1. danielledavies

danielledavies New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Hi, I'm a new member looking for some advice please. One of my chickens got out on Thursday, we managed to find her but yesterday morning I noticed she couldn't close her beak properly or eat and she had like slimy salivor coming out of her beak. On closer inspection she seemed to have what looked like chewing gum stuck under her tongue with all gunk stuck around it. We managed to remove it with a cotton bud but she is still the same today and looking under her tongue she still has gunk there (which smells quite foul). Her crop is empty so I've brought her inside afraid she'll get too cold in this weather. She is very quiet, trying her best to eat but finding it impossible. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. danielledavies

danielledavies New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Thanks very much CT, I wish it was too. I will try posting on the ER forum.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Sure hope your hen is feeling better soon! Best of luck and thank you for joining BYC! [​IMG]

5. danielledavies

danielledavies New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Thanks redsoxs!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Danielle [​IMG] Welcome!

I do hope that the folks on the ER Forum were able to help you out and your gal makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome! :) Sorry about your hen...I hope she gets better soon!

~MW

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope your girl is doing better soon!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by