1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member with questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicchickmama77, May 12, 2016.

1. chicchickmama77

chicchickmama77 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    Hi everyone!! So excited to be a part of this new world!! I don't know anyone with chickens so I will probably have a lot of questions. We got 2 baby chicks 25 weeks ago. A brown Ameracuana and a black sex link. Love them to pieces!!! Our sex link just laid her first egg 3 days ago!! It was like Christmas!! Since hen we have seen nothing. Is this common? I keep looking and hoping but nothing is there. It seems most other sex links usually lay earlier too, so wondering why it took her so long. Any feedback would be very appreciated!! Thanks!!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Welcome! I do not have sexlinks but yes it is common for birds to lay a first egg and then go on hiatus for a while, so no worries. Happy to have you here!

3. chicchickmama77

chicchickmama77 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks so so so much!!

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Welcome Welcome. Pullets are very unpredictable in their first few months of laying. Nothing to worry about to much just yet.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It takes awhile for a pullet to work out any kinks in the system . Usually they start with small eggs and then work up to larger ones.

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by