New Member with some Guinea Fowl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Julie16, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Julie16

Julie16 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2016
    Hi all! I'm happy to be a new member! I just got 10 guinea fowl yesterday. I got them to help cut down on ticks, slugs, etc. where I pasture my meat goats. I've been trying to find info online about markets for guinea fowl meat (and eggs) but can't seem to find anything in New York State (I live somewhat halfway between Syracuse & Ithaca). Now that I have these beautiful birds, how/where can I sell them? I'm not looking to sell right away but if I decide to start raising some to sell for meat I have no idea where to go. Help!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post on your state thread and also the guinea thread. I don't really know anything about them except them 'alarm' about everything, will 'mob' snakes off the property, and are the best tick eaters alive (maybe). [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. DD has given you good advice, so i will just say [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Guineas are lovely birds, if a bit noisy! We used to have some, just for pets, many years ago… Thank goodness for forgiving neighbours. Have you looked around the Guinea fowl section for threads on selling/meat/eggs etc?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I can't imagine guinea eggs for eating to be profitable. Your only get eggs from about March through October and they are small to medium eggs. The hens also refuse to lay where you can find them and once you find the stash, they start laying somewhere else. Sell fertile hatching eggs.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    Hi Julie 16 - I am in New York State as well - 30 minutes east of Syracuse. Posting on Craig's List for Syracuse or Ithaca under the Farm and Garden section might be a good spot. I always look there. Another possibility would be to check with individual restaurants that do Farm to Table - must be a few in the Ithaca area. We just got 16 keets (now 5 weeks old) to keep down our tick population as well. Can't wait to get them out free ranging! Good luck!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with your birds! I have never kept Guineas so I am of no help. Definitely stop by our Guineas section for more help.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by