1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by adoni, Sep 28, 2015.

1. adoni

adoni New Egg

Sep 21, 2015
    hi, I have four 3 month old chickens. I also have at 3 months old each, a white drake, Donald and small brown duck with crown on top of her head, (Petunia). The rest of my group consists of five 8 week old white ducklings of unknown gender who are almost as big as Donald. It appears that Donald may be a little older than I thought because he spends his time trying to mate with Petunia and maybe a chicken or two, I will keep 1 drake so my question is: What can I do with what might be extra drakes that I don't want? I don't want any more ducklings so I'll have to keep the most lethargic drake of the bunch. At this point it doesn't look good for Donald. Adoni

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Well, personally I'd send them to freezer camp. You can try rehoming them but I don't know how quickly they might rehome.

If your male duck is attempting to mate your chickens, you need to separate them immediately. Whereas roosters have only a rudimentary sex organ inside the clocal fold, male ducks have an actual penis, and can badly hurt hens when attempting to mate as they are not designed to breed like that.

3. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens ![​IMG]
    You might think of selling them or even giving them away. That is if you do not want to cook them.

Steven

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on QueenMisha's comment to separate the ducks from the chickens before someone gets hurt.

Once you have 20 posts you can use the buy-sell-trade forum (that also includes a free re-homing thread):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Good luck finding homes for your extra ducks.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. adoni

adoni New Egg

Sep 21, 2015
    Thank you very much. I will separate them asap. And yes, the freezer is looking better and better. Thank you all again very much.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by