1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by iconracr, Oct 1, 2015.

1. iconracr

iconracr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    Hello,

I'm new here and from Florida. Been using the site to research chickens for a,few,years. My daughter is in a vet program and they have free range chickens on their farm. I could tell you why free range is sometimes not a good idea from my perspective. Anyway, our city passed an ordinance to allow beach yard chickens where I live. I had many concerns about the eggs that I gathered on the farm so decided to get my own. The information here is amazing and very eye opening.

We first picked a breed. We live in a subdivision so noise is a concern as is the heat. Decided on just hatched black sex link girls. Then the hutch, ended up buying one but wish I had built one of the ones suggested here. Read, how to care for a chick. Moved on to pre layers then layers. Finally a few weeks,ago we got our fist eggs.

This is the best site. I am really a beginner so have very little to offer. I am just greatful to be here and for the help.

Thanks, Cheryl

2. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to BYC Cheryl. [​IMG] Beach Chickens Awesome !

1 person likes this.
  3. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Welcome to BYC!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Cheryl. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations! It's always so egg-citing getting those first eggs. Black Sex Links are laying machines. You should get loads more large, brown eggs from those girls. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cheryl, you offer a lot just by being here. BYC is over 350,000 members globally strong, without members there would be no BYC. You may want to join your state thread, hopefully you will find other chicken folks living near you, and make some new friends .

6. CaseyV

CaseyV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    Hi Cheryl, [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by