Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newby101, Oct 11, 2015.

1. newby101

newby101 New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    Hi everyone! Another Newbey here. I have 1 polish hen and 6 Orpington hens. All of my chickens are 6 months old except two of my orpingtons. They are just over a year and I accuired them a week ago from a friend who was trying to thin out her flock. They were laying great at her farm but since I've had them I've only gotten one egg the next day and nothing since. Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Having just been moved within the last week the lack of eggs is likely due to disruption of production from the stress of the move. It often takes a couple of weeks (or longer) for them to adjust and get back to the business of laying. Also, depending on how much over a year old they are (ie closer to 18 months or so) you may have some lack of production stemming from molt/impending molt.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Chickens are easily stressed by anything but moves are difficult to them as are any predator attacks they may notice. They need to feel secure again before they restart laying, except for the conditions OLGreyMare has mentioned. Even the shorter daylight can bring on less or no eggs during the coldest months.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Ol Grey Mare and Drumstick diva have given you some good explanations for the non-laying. Just give the new girls some time and they should be fine.

Thanks for joining us!

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

6. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    HELLO THERE [​IMG]

7. newby101

newby101 New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    Oh good! I was starting to think I was doing/not doing something very necessary here. Thank you for the advice and warm welcome [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. newby101

newby101 New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    Well I was telling my husband he needs to add a light to the coop but we were wondering what time of day you turn it on? (Early early morning? Or do you leave it on all night?) it seems weird to light up their cool when they are trying to sleep. Also a friend told me just a regular 40w build would be fine and that they don't need a heat lamp, correct or no?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by