Bawkbawk462

Hatching
Oct 6, 2015
Hi all!
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm a new member here.
We don't have any chickens or chicken coop yet. We're learning.
I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. Near Hamilton. My wife wants Silkies and Showgirls. I just want egg producing heritage breeds.
Have to get/make a coop first though. My wife wants to buy a used one with chickens but I don't have a trailer and am not sure one will fit on my truck.
It'll all work out in the end I imagine.

Andy

Hi Andy and a very warm welcome to BYC. The Learning Centre is a great place to start, but feel free to ask any questions - we all help each other here!!

CT

Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Before building or buying a coop, IMO you two need to agree on what breeds and how large a flock you want so you can plan on the size and arrangement of a coop to house them.
There's so much information on this site to explore and forums where you can post questions to assist you in your plans.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Very nice to meet you Andy. Glad you joined the BYC flock. If you get a used coop be sure to give it a very thorough cleaning - you don't know it's history in regard to what diseases chickens had in it, parasites, lice, mites, etc. residue that could start up another crop.

Show girls and silkies should get along fine together, especially if bought at the same time. Not so with other breeds. Generally silkies, polish etc, are bullied and pecked over by other breeds because they look so different. Having the big crests obscuring their vision makes them sitting ducks for attacks. If you want other breeds as well for eggs or meat - it would be good to have the coop and run divided or separate areas for two flocks.

Back
Top Bottom