1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Goulais Girl, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Goulais Girl

Goulais Girl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    Hey there! New to the group and joined as we've had quite a few issues with integrating our chickens! A lot more difficult than I remember when I was a kid! Hahaha we have 4 Horacks (sp?) and 3 Easter eggers. My two daughters just love them to death... We actually had 4 Easter eggers and one passed the first week we had them... She's buried in the flower garden in a Very special Place! :). Hoping to get a few good ideas and learn how to help my 10 year old not stress over them so much! :) we're loving our chickens!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Stop the stressing and start enjoying. [​IMG]

3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, glad you decided to join us.

So sorry about the loss, only time will help.

IMO integration or reintroduction is one of the most challenging experiences of having your own flock. Patience and time is the only answer.
    If you haven't already done so, explore the learning center and forums for advice on integration and consider starting a thread in the managing your flock forum for specific help with your integration task.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Integration is a delicate process and as sunflour said, it takes time and patience. Having something to divide your coop and run into 2 areas helps. That division can be poultry netting, chicken wire or some other material that will allow the 2 groups to see each other but not touch. When you give everyone a chance to get used to each other (probably 3-4 weeks) then you can let them mingle. It can help the younger birds if there are hiding places they can duck into and extra feeders & waterers. There will still be some squabbling, but hopeful no serious damage, while they work out the pecking order.

Thanks for joining us!

7. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

8. Goulais Girl

Goulais Girl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    We got our smaller "Easter Eggers" in August, they were very little.. We lost the one within a week... Once they started to get bigger I have them an enclosed area... The big birds would go by and see what they were doing but nothing happened.... We eventually let them out in the yard together, they free range, they stay apart, in their own groups, we finally got them to the coop together... And they've been together about 3 weeks. I find the Eggers are very timid and skittish... My Horecks run the place, show no fear, run right up to us, but the Eggers hide and run away. I'd just like them for one to stand up to the bossy birds and not run and hide. They seem like two very different personalities. :( I'm wondering how winter will be with them locked up together more, I'm afraid there will be more Pecking... :(

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by