Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Squirglederk, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Squirglederk

Squirglederk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    Hi, I joined a few days ago. I'm from Australia, a place called Maraylya, north west of Sydney. I have just made my first post, so this is actually my second. Thought I should introduce myself first (or second, lol). I have Silkies and a couple of months ago bought a brooder from ebay. Hatched 12 from 24. Am trying dry incubating this time to see if I can get a higher hatch rate. I have only watched chickens hatching from my hens, so this is a new experience. I decided to try this way because my coop isn't ideal for breeding. I love Silkies, they are so gentle and don't attack the garden, lol. Have a great day.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Silkies sure are fun to own. Such cutie pies. Incubating eggs is a very exciting and rewarding experience. Nothing warms the heart more than setting eggs and 21 or so days later watching that egg turn into a tiny life. You may find it addicting too. LOL Something so magical about this experience.

If you run into any issues, feel free to post in our Incubating eggs forums...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted! :)

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Good luck with the hatch.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally silkies are a very "broody" breed that will sit and hatch their own eggs. Do you have a silkie rooster? Many people buy silkies to use as "incubators," for their other breeds. Have some of yours showed any broody tendencies?

Please check out the "I built a bridge" thread started by my friend Teila. She lives in Australia and has some absolutely gorgeous birds. There is also a thread called "Australia, six states and one funny little island."

Welcome to Backyard chickens, hope you enjoy it as much as we do,

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Silkies are a wonderful breed; sweet, adorable, gentle, friendly, and funny little birds. My children made lap pets of our Silkies. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

7. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    Hello and welcome to BACK YARD CHICKENS from Australia.

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Squirglederk

Squirglederk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    Thank you everyone. Not very computer literate, so have to learn the lingo and how to find such things as 'threads'. I presume this is a 'thread'. Hmm, hopefully not too difficult. I will have a look around. thanks again.

10. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you have any questions, always feel free to ask. Members here are friendly and helpful.

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by