Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kristi182iu, Nov 15, 2015.

1. kristi182iu

kristi182iu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2015
    warsaw, in
    hey everyone I have been reading posts since last april when I bought my first chicks. I have learned so much! My entire family enjoys having these chickens. It;s been great having the older kids getting involved too. They have a lot of personality and we are enjoying this new journey :) I am looking for some fun varieties to keep friends and family interested too. All our friends enjoy bringing their kids over to see our feather footed friends. There's just a wealth of knowledge here. Thank you everyone!

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to hear BYC has been of help to you! What breed(s) of chickens do you have?

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's so nice to hear your whole family is enjoying your feathered friends :highfive: It really is a fantastic hobby that everyone can enjoy.
    Do you know what breed/s you would like to add next?

Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and by friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. kristi182iu

kristi182iu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2015
    warsaw, in
    Hi :) I bought my first batch at our local Big R store here in warsaw indiana. I have One rhode island red. two white brahmas and two tan hens but i can't remember what they are. I had 12 originally but we bought two ducks at the same time and they accidentally smothered a few. Then we had a predator snatch a few :( mine are free range all day then I lock them in at night. they are all great layers. We sure love our girls. I am looking for these next ones to add as soon as I can find them.
    Cochin- i had feathered footed ones as a kid-love them
    Easter eggers- had a few but they were part of the lost bunch
    Polish-they look ridiculous :)
    silkie-sizzle ^ same :)
    carolina blue sex link ee it says-
    british tailed araucana.

I didn't see any that seem aggressive. I would want to make sure they get along well.The one easter hen I had was a little aggressive but i read they usually are not...

Its crazy how much joy it brings to find those eggs everyday and the hens are hilarious! They follow my around our 6 acres like a dog. Cant wait to grow our little herd. Just not sure where to find and buy some of the ones I want. I am watching craigslist..

5. sandreca

sandreca Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Paintlick kentucky
    try hatcherys Meyer hatchery will let you order as few as five and you can pick and choose! Plus they are awesome folks and if you get the meal maker you get a free chick and all 26 of mine came in healthy happy and adorable plus two free chicks!!!! And I love my hens as well they are so funny and some are sweet! Would love more but my hubby said my achixtion was getting bad lol now most aw laying let's see what he say now lol good luck

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like you would be better off if you didn't free range them. You will just be replacing them often. Predators that get an easy meal will just keep coming back to the same place till they all are gone.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by