1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Will57, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Will57

Will57 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2016
    Melbourne Florida
    Hello everyone. My name is Will and I live in Melbourne Florida. My wife Jill and I have 24 chickens. We had 30 but we lost a fe due to airborne predators. Got that problem solved. I'm an old country boy and chickens are nothing all that new to me but my wife is a city girl from NJ and I get a kick out of her playing with the chickens. I think she has gone chicken crazy. All are chickens are free run. They have free run of my large fenced in backyard. We are hoping that maybe sometime in May or June we should see are first eggs. We have Easter Eggers, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, and White Leghorns. We lost one Rock and 5 of the Leghorn's to a Hawk and I will be replacing them soon.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hello Will, [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

So sorry about your losses, but wondering how you solved the problem? Hope it's more aerial protection?

Wishing you better luck with the rest and with the upcoming replacements.

4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Sorry for your losses, but glad you got it under control. :thumbsup

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thanks for joining us at Backyard chickens. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

6. CLSranch

CLSranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    NE OK
    Howdy will and welcome to BYC. Hope you enjoy it and keep them hawks down. I had a red tail hit one of Dark Cornish while I was in the back yard. It didn't take her but she was missing a few back feathers

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC, hopefully you will manage to contribute as well as learn from our site and its members!

Cheers
    CT

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Will57

Will57 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2016
    Melbourne Florida
    Thank you for the big welcome. My wife and I have been here in Florida less than a year. We bought this place in Melbourne in May and are settling in very well. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm an old country boy and took care of that chicken hawk the old fashioned way.

Back when I was a boy my parents had over 300 chickens that they raised for meat and eggs for the whole family. We also raised beef and pork. We were a tight knit family. One uncle would raise the veggies another would do the dairy and cheese and another would do the carpentry and firewood. Today I just want a few eggs breakfast.

I don't have a lot of hobbies. Mainely vintage engine and cars. I have a 1919 Ford Model T touring car. At the moment it's down with some problems that I need to get at soon. . Someday I would like to go fishing. I do have one old hit and miss engine that I got way back when I was 14.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by