Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SuseyQ, Feb 6, 2016.

1. SuseyQ

SuseyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2016
    Hi I go by SuseyQ,
    I have no chickens or any other birds but need to start some soon. I was raised with chickens, but since I'm allergic to the meat and eggs I'm investigating quail as a possible option. I'd like the eggs and meat for personal use. I'm also allergic to duck eggs.

I live in So. NM where wild Bobwhites are numerous. I've considered trapping some and trying to raise them, but I'm not sure it's lega and I don't know if it would work either.

I live with my husband and 4 children. We currently have four dogs. Two poodle mixes, a terrier mix and a Golden Retriever pup.

I found this site by net searches. Whenever I looked up something about quail this site came up so I decided to join. I'm very grateful for a site that's willing to support newbies like me.

I currently don't have any equipment and know very little about raising birds, well except chickens. I want to do this right and not be out a lot of money. I am concerned about predators such fox, coyote, owls, Roadrunners (of course) etc. How do I securely protect my investment and where is the best place to raise these birds?

Thank You,
    SuseyQ

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi SuseyQ, [​IMG]

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a section in the Learning Center on quail. There's also a forum for members that have quail or are interested in them. Here are some links to help you get there:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc (Learning Center)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail (forum)

Feel free to ask questions, there are a lot of helpful members here and a ton of information.

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad to have you join us.

CT

4. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Thank you for your response. I have read a few things on the forum before becoming a member. But honestly I think I'm as confused as ever since I've read things on other sites to. Hopefully I can figure this out shortly. Thank you for the information.

5. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    NorthFLchick,
    I guess my biggest question is how do I get started? What should I do first? I know this all takes time, but I suspect that is my biggest question.

Thanks,
    SuseyQ

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    First read everything you can find about them. That's going to tell you about the different types of quail and which one might be the best fit for your circumstances. It will help you find out what sort of housing needs they have, what to feed them, what to do to keep them safe from predators, any health issues that may be expected, etc.

If you think they are the right birds for you, talk to breeders or owners of quail, ask for advice.

Locate a source for either birds or hatching eggs.

Then you get busy setting up an incubator (if you're going to hatch eggs) and a brooder for when they are young. You'll also want to build or buy some sort of housing for when they are too big for the brooder.

Get any supplies you may need...food, waterers and feeders, maybe some basic first aid supplies for emergencies, heat lamp for their brooder. Whatever your research tells you they need.

Then get your birds or hatching eggs and you're off and running.

BYC can help you with all of the above. The link I gave you earlier for the Learning Center explains some of these basics. The quail forum members can help you by answering questions you might still have.

Good luck!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. SuseyQ

Feb 5, 2016
    Great advice and thank you. Can you recommend some good books? Also do you know if the climate that you live in impacts the quail breed you get?

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Try asking the members on the quail forum. I'm sure they'd have some good recommendations for you.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is there any way you could try quail eggs to find out if you are allergic to them also? If would be bad after you invest in this and find that out later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by