Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Denise Chapman, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Denise Chapman

Denise Chapman New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    Thinking of starting this spring raising chicks for eggs. Just a few. any information would be greatly appreciated. #newbe

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Denise, and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. The Learning Centre is a good place to start, and your state thread also. To kickstart your project, you may wish to consider buying Point of Lay pullets (5 or so months old) as you will get eggs faster, and the learning curve to keeping almost adult birds is not as steep as buying one day old chicks.

All the best

CT

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! Do check out the Learning Center articles here. There is everything from choosing a breed, to hatching eggs, to maintaining a healthy flock and dealing with predators covered there. Enjoy the site!

4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Denise, glad to meet you. Hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

7. Denise Chapman

Denise Chapman New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    Went to the local Atwood store about 3 weeks ago. I now have 21 chicks. 12 my hubby and I got first. Then I went the next day and got 6 more. So, 4 days ago I got 6 more. Have lost 3 out of 24. On to pasty butt one to my dog and the other I don't know how. All of the others are doing well.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

9. Denise Chapman

Denise Chapman New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    What breed is this

10. Denise Chapman

Denise Chapman New Egg

Feb 20, 2016