Chickeeta

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Salt Spring Island
Hi all. I've been visiting this site for several months now... ever since 5 Australorp chicks came to live with us, "us" being me. my hubbie, and our dachshund. I've found answers to all my questions and lots more information besides! Thanks for that. Following advice we got on this site, we've built a coop and run and the girls seem quite happy, though they spend most of their day free-ranging rather than hanging round the coop. We got our first egg yesterday and another today. I can't believe how excited I was about two little brown eggs! You would think I'd won the lottery.

We live on a small island off the west coast of Canada. Bought a piece of land here a few years ago that we are gradually developing... our goal is to have a little hobby farm. I've always wanted chickens and their status is pretty obvious by the fact that we built their house before our own (we're living in our RV)! But judging by the postings on this site, I guess you guys can all understand that, right?

Look forward to getting to know you better and getting advice as needed.

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
LOL. No, no flowers yet, but no snow either so no complaints. The hens seem happy whatever the weather. When it rains, they simply all spend the day at the spa having dust baths (lovely spot under the awning of our RV). They are a laugh a minute!

Those lucky Chickens!....my girls are yearning for a dry patch to do that....I am origonally from Penticton I have family living all over BC ....beautiful BC....

I am here cuddled with my very patient hubby as he guides me thru this, my first experiment in posting on BYC. I have been using this site to aid us in our being a family with hens. We have six young Golden Comets who are tried and true layers since September. You have answered many, many questions that I have not been able to find the answers to locally. So, THANK YOU ALL so very much. We (myself, hubby, and our two daughters) are heading full speed into our first winter with hens. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom