1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickeeta, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Chickeeta

Chickeeta Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Salt Spring Island
    Hi all. I've been visiting this site for several months now... ever since 5 Australorp chicks came to live with us, "us" being me. my hubbie, and our dachshund. I've found answers to all my questions and lots more information besides! Thanks for that. Following advice we got on this site, we've built a coop and run and the girls seem quite happy, though they spend most of their day free-ranging rather than hanging round the coop. We got our first egg yesterday and another today. I can't believe how excited I was about two little brown eggs! You would think I'd won the lottery.

We live on a small island off the west coast of Canada. Bought a piece of land here a few years ago that we are gradually developing... our goal is to have a little hobby farm. I've always wanted chickens and their status is pretty obvious by the fact that we built their house before our own (we're living in our RV)! But judging by the postings on this site, I guess you guys can all understand that, right?

Look forward to getting to know you better and getting advice as needed.

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    [​IMG]

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Its funny how a couple of eggs can seem like such a great gift!
    [​IMG]

4. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Welcome fellow canuck ! Are the flowers blooming yet?.....

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Glad you decided to join BYC!

6. Chickeeta

Chickeeta Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Salt Spring Island
    Quote:LOL. No, no flowers yet, but no snow either so no complaints. The hens seem happy whatever the weather. When it rains, they simply all spend the day at the spa having dust baths (lovely spot under the awning of our RV). They are a laugh a minute!

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Those lucky Chickens!....my girls are yearning for a dry patch to do that....I am origonally from Penticton I have family living all over BC ....beautiful BC....

8. EstherLouVT

EstherLouVT New Egg

Dec 1, 2008
    I am here cuddled with my very patient hubby as he guides me thru this, my first experiment in posting on BYC. I have been using this site to aid us in our being a family with hens. We have six young Golden Comets who are tried and true layers since September. You have answered many, many questions that I have not been able to find the answers to locally. So, THANK YOU ALL so very much. We (myself, hubby, and our two daughters) are heading full speed into our first winter with hens. So far so good.

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Welcome to the forum!

-Daniel

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] Thanks for coming out of lurking to join us all! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by