Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Genadendal, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Genadendal

Genadendal Just Hatched

Thanks for allowing me to be part of the group. I'm a 55yr old male from a small rural town called Genadedndal in Cape Town South Africa. I've designed as a teacher to start an organic farm on a very small scale. Very excited and yet nervous. Will also be involved in a local church. I've looked at getting 12 egg laying hens and 1 rooster. It will be delivered on 1 July 2016. Question "Should I get a rooster with the hens now or should 1 wait for a while. Im very new to this. Will be looking at building the coop over the next few months. Thanks so much. Blessings

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Will the hens and rooster be about the same age? If so I think it is better to get them all at once, otherwise with each new addition, you have to integrate them with the established flock. The pecking order will likely change and they will harass or fight with each other. You may like to check out the Learning Center which covers many, many topics of importance to raising a flock.

I think if you put "South Africa," in the search box above, it will come up and you can post there as well. We have many members from South Africa who will know what is available in your country.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you join us. DD makes a good point about the rooster, but please make sure you read about how to "manage" roos - they can be a handful if not correctly treated.

All the best
    CT

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on getting your first flock!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by