Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nyght, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Nyght

Nyght New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Well, after wanting to get a few hens for a while, my husband finally agreed. Seems he enjoyed himself collecting eggs on my mother's farm. So now we have a coop in our backyard and we are just waiting for birds. While the coop says 8 I don't think I would want any more than 4 or 5 in there. We have already gotten a feeder, waterer, now I just need to get the bedding, food and well, birds. We are hens only here, no roosters because of town ordnance.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - and to the adventure!
    As you are concerned about capacity and mention the coop says it is for "up to eight" might I ask if it is a prefabricated unit? If so, you may be right to be concerned as they generally grossly overestimate the capacity of the unit. If you can post either photos or dimensions of the unit we can help you to sort out the matter.
    It sounds like you are getting things well in order in preparation for their arrival. Have you settled on breeds yet?

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy your flock as much as I do mine!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - hope you manage to get point of lay pullets, so you know 100% that they are girls!

All the best
    CT

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG] I'm glad your husband finally agreed to having chickens!

6. Nyght

Nyght New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Maryland
    My mom has laying hens she may bequeath to us, if not she is working with her farm connections to find us 4-5 birds. They will be laying hens so we will be sure no roos in the mix.

As for what I would like to have, Orpingtons, Lace Wyandotte and Araucana. It is likely going to be luck of the draw though.
    • Size: 79.5 in. x 43 in. x 51.5 in.
    • [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Definitely not suitable for 8, even 4 is a bit much for large fowl hens. Will you be able to allow them to range in the yard all day or need to use the little run area to confine them?

8. Nyght

Nyght New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Maryland
    They will need to be contained in the run during the day when we are not able to monitor them. We will be letting them out in the yard when we are home however. I was looking at getting 4 anyway, so I shouldn't be too worried about them being crowded?

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Nyght

Nyght New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I should note, we are building a larger run for them to attach to the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by