jaquetrish

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2016
Gilman, MM
We are starting a new flock (our first)! We have a 4 week old Americauna, a 4 week old Speckled Sussex, a 4 week old jersey giant, and a 4 week old Rhode Island Red. We also have 3-2 week old Gold and silver wyondotte chicks. I am so excited! Nervous because they are a bit sneezy but the farmer said that was from the dust when we picked them up yesterday and stirred them up???

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

It may be worth considering keeping your new chicks separate from the older chicks. The sneezing may well be due to what the farmer described, but it could also be a respiratory issue that could possibly spread to the rest of your flock.

All the best
CT

I agree with CTKen - sellers tend to play down symptoms - I would err on the side of caution and quarantine the new chicks away from any other birds you have. Respiratory ills can spread rapidly.

Well, you were right. The seller definitely played it down. I did separate the new chicks out but they have been passing the "cold" back and forth to each other for about 9 days now. This morning I went and got some Duramycin-10 from the local Co-op and put that in their water. I'll be doing that for 10-14 days and crossing my fingers that the sneezing stops. The good news is that they have all continued to eat and drink normally, but my Speckled Sussex is on a major downward spiral.

Back
Top Bottom