Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BryceHun, May 3, 2016.

1. BryceHun

BryceHun Hatching

May 3, 2016
    Hello,my name is Bryce im from south central oklahoma, i just joined BYC although i have used this forum as a resource for information for quite a while, any question ive had ive been able to get the answer from this forum!!

I have a couple questions, how many roosters should i have for a flock of about 35? And does anyone know what breed of rooster this is? my father inlaw gave him to me and he doesnt know what breed he is either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Given enough space (it appears that your birds are free range) two or three and perhaps even more roosters could coexist with your hens. Introducing adult roosters to such a flock would be difficult. I believe that your rooster is a cross of some sort.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice from Sourland already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you don't intend to sell or hatch fertile eggs, you don't really need a rooster. They are not the greatest protection for your flock, if they stand up to a predator, they won't last long.

Your one rooster would be fine - because he couldn't possibly OVER breed that many hens. You can post a closeup photo of him at "what breed or gender is this," to find out exactly what he is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by