Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BryceHun, May 3, 2016.

1. BryceHun

BryceHun New Egg

May 3, 2016
    Hello,my name is Bryce im from south central oklahoma, i just joined BYC although i have used this forum as a resource for information for quite a while, any question ive had ive been able to get the answer from this forum!!

I have a couple questions, how many roosters should i have for a flock of about 35? And does anyone know what breed of rooster this is? my father inlaw gave him to me and he doesnt know what breed he is either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Given enough space (it appears that your birds are free range) two or three and perhaps even more roosters could coexist with your hens. Introducing adult roosters to such a flock would be difficult. I believe that your rooster is a cross of some sort.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice from Sourland already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you don't intend to sell or hatch fertile eggs, you don't really need a rooster. They are not the greatest protection for your flock, if they stand up to a predator, they won't last long.

Your one rooster would be fine - because he couldn't possibly OVER breed that many hens. You can post a closeup photo of him at "what breed or gender is this," to find out exactly what he is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by