Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kremrose, May 4, 2016.

1. kremrose

kremrose New Egg

May 4, 2016
    Hello and good morning Backyard Chicken and its members:

After willingly obtaining 2 silver and 2 brown lace chickens and 2 pekin ducks that are now about 10 weeks old. I believe one of the silver's is a rooster (due to its dark red comb and waddle) and I may have a male pekin (I was told the volume and feathers could indicate sex) So this website has been my go to for information.

We live in Michigan and have just built them a larger and elevated coop for them to spread out and enjoy 2 weeks ago. I am reading conflicting information as to the following items

No heat or light in coop this time of year

Water and Feed (we currently have available in the coop 24/7)

Door to coop open during the day (they are free ranging and the chickens go in and out during the day)

My trouble starts at night. The chickens and ducks will return to the coop come sun down put not get in it! I go out there about 15 minutes before dark and try to lure them in using peas and tomatoes, which they seem to like. Inevitably I have to grab them and put them in! Am I missing something?

Any tips and suggestions as to how to make bed time a little easier is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kelly
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Chickens seem to have trouble figuring out the concept of ramps, and that is a long one. They will figure things out eventually. Ducks are even harder. Good luck with solving this problem.

3. kremrose

kremrose New Egg

May 4, 2016
    The chickens seem to have figured out the ramp, when they want to. Just not a bed time. The ducks can come down but wont go up. Is there an alternative, like steps maybe?

Other option is to enclose under the coop for the ducks and put a little house under there for them. I heard they like to be out at night.

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Under the coop at night would work for the ducks if it were closed in and predator proof. Sometime in the future you may want to plan for an enclosed pen with top. The predators will eventually be attracted to your flock. It's a sad fact of free ranging.

5. kremrose

kremrose New Egg

May 4, 2016
    I am going to raise that thought with my husband and see. Our whole town seems to have free ranging chickens. We are new to the country and I think thats what planted the idea in the first place.

I have accepted the fact with free rangers that its not "if" its "when" a predator strikes. Any input on the standards regarding food , water and light/heat? Do I let them come and go out of the coop as they please during the day?

Thank you

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Providing you can assure that you will be let your flock out of the coop at daybreak every day of the year, then theres no need for either feed or water in the coop. If not, then at least keeping water there is a good idea.

At 10 weeks old your flock should not need additional heating.
    Good luck
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the idea of a coop section underneath for the ducks is a good one.[​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. kremrose

kremrose New Egg

May 4, 2016
    CT

Thanks for the input, yet another reason I have joined this group. I have truly enjoyed watching my chickens as they all have varied personalities. I just want to make sure I am doing right by them and not making things harder. I dont want the things I am doing to be the reason I cant get my chickens into the coop at night ot be confusing them in anyway.

Thanks,
    Kelly

10. kremrose

kremrose New Egg

May 4, 2016
    THanks, I have to come up with something. Bed time is hilarious around the coop, I think I have ducks that dont like the water. I have a decent size pond that the ducks dont seem to have an interest in. I am hoping its just an age thing.

I love being on a forum that provides great suggestions and sound advice.

THanks for having me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by