New Member!!

princess2014

Hatching
May 12, 2016
Hi everyone!! I'm from northern Alberta Canada. I've been a chicken girl for many many years and have now started into raising more specifically Orpingtons! I look forward to meeting you all and talking Chickens!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I have one Orpington egg left in my incubator at the moment so I'm hoping it's going to hatch. I've looked at them for a while and really like them. Fingers crossed it will hatch ok. The other 5 were unfortunately clear :( Do you keep bantam or large ones?

I'm sure you will enjoy all the chicken chat here on BYC :frow

I know this is out there but... Help!! My friend has a large coop and about 2 months ago started loosing a chicken a night. She's down from 150 chickens to about 35~ Completely Gutted with everything else intact. My husband and hers have sat up tirelessly trying to kill this critter yet it evades them at every turn! It's something going over the fence, as the fence itself is dug down 1-1/2 feet into the ground and perimeter is secure. They had success for 5 nights in a row (because they are basically babysitting chickens..) and then last night they both needed sleep (they both get up for regular jobs at 4:30).
My husband text me this am~ It killed TWO last night!! He is beyond frustrated...

I know this is out there but... Help!! My friend has a large coop and about 2 months ago started loosing a chicken a night. She's down from 150 chickens to about 35~ Completely Gutted with everything else intact. My husband and hers have sat up tirelessly trying to kill this critter yet it evades them at every turn! It's something going over the fence, as the fence itself is dug down 1-1/2 feet into the ground and perimeter is secure. They had success for 5 nights in a row (because they are basically babysitting chickens..) and then last night they both needed sleep (they both get up for regular jobs at 4:30).
My husband text me this am~ It killed TWO last night!! He is beyond frustrated...
Try posting in the predators and pests section. You might get more replies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Click on start a new thread (Just above the sticky threads section)

Hope no more die

MW

Welcome to BYC! I'm sure they are frustrated, goodness, that's a lot of losses! Without more info on their coop set-up, types of predators in the area, etc, I can't really offer much except have a look through the predator articles here (there are preventative measures in each article):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

And start a thread with as much details as possible here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Then let's see what we can do to help you guys.

Researching was how I stumbled upon your site. :) we live in the mid thumb of michigan. I read your article and honestly it doesn't sound like any of the varmints. I'm about ready to bring out a priest, I'm so vexed! LOL
It's a covered enclosure about 150' by 75' and stands 6-7' at the lowest point. They are currently recovering the top with new chicken wire as the old had become rusted in places. But it's supported by 2x4's all around and they are dug deep into the ground. It just doesn't fit the typical mold of a predator - to me anyhow. Thanks for letting me vent at least! (0:

Back
Top Bottom