1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CindyLC, May 25, 2016.

1. CindyLC

CindyLC New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Tx
    Hello everyone I'm new to this site. We are starting to build a chicken coop. Ive wanted chickens for years and finnaly commited. Any recommendations for chickens will be greatly appreciated!!! Located in Central TX

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

2 people like this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please check out the Learning Center. You may also like to join your state thread - just put that in the search box and it will come up. Then you could ask what breeds do best in your area, what type of coop, where the best feed stores, etc. are. BYCERS tend to be very kind and thoughtful people.

4. mdmscoot

mdmscoot New Egg

May 24, 2016
    Providence Ut
    Hello all! First and foremost this site helped me through my first year of being a hen mother. Jeez through stinky butt with the chicks to applying Vaseline to prevent frostbite has been ever so helpful. Just want to say thanks!

I purchased this year a barred rock chick that I'm almost sure is a roo.[​IMG] It has made strange noises in the morning two to three days in a row then nothing. Its 12 - 13 weeks old and is twice the size of the sexlink I got at the same time. What should I look for other than the spear like feathers? Sure is a beauty but can't have roosters where I live.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community- glad that you have joined us.

The Coop Section and the "Coops and Runs" forums should help you with your coop build. You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Best wishes

CT

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I'd suggest posting pics of your suspect cockerel in the What Breed or Gender is This? forum.

Fingers crossed its a girl!

CT

1 person likes this.
  7. CindyLC

CindyLC New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Tx
    Can you give me more information about the state thread??? Not sure what you mean. I tried looking it up without any luck.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by