1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mcmillinchicks, Jun 5, 2016.

1. mcmillinchicks

mcmillinchicks New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Hello. My husband and I are just starting our small chicken farm. We just hatched our first batch of eggs under our broody hens last week. Chicks are doing great. We bought an incubator and are using it for the first time. I keep reading different things about dry hatching and some say keep the humidity at a certain level. This is confusing and I don't want to have a bad hatch rate. Any help would be appreciated. BTW I love reading all the helpful tips and seeing all of the pictures.

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    [​IMG]

I have an incubator but i have not tried using it yet. I was also thinking of using the dry incubation method as humidity levels here are pretty high at the moment. Love to see some pics of your chicks!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I use the so called..dry hatch..that doesn't mean, completely dry. Keep the humidity around low to mid 30's during incubation.
    Lock down, in the high to low 50's. This is what I do, and since you mentioned you like photos..here is what I hatched last week.

Little silkies.

[​IMG]

One was in a cup with little booties on it's feet..to straighten out toes. Walking around just fine
    now. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - nice to have you join us. The "Hatch-a-long" and "incubating and hatching eggs" forums should be a good starting place for any questions that may have.

Best wishes
    CT

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

1 person likes this.
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011