1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BCountrycousin, Jun 10, 2016.

1. BCountrycousin

BCountrycousin New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Hello to everyone from the humid Southeast state of Alabama. At 70, I still work full time and enjoy raising and breeding Rosecomb bantams, several colors of Guineas and peafowl. There are many problems raising birds in this humid climate-fowl pox, intestinal parasites, etc. Our state has gone to a bi-annual poultry inspection program to certify our flocks. My first inspection of the year is tomorrow and the second will be in October when this year's birds will be inspected. Rosecombs have been my love for decades, but my job obligations have prevented me from showing these little beauties. All of this variety is based upon the black Rosecomb and it is extremely difficult to breed other colors that follow the standard. case in point, I have been breeding the barred or cuckoo color for 20+years and am only confident that this year I will birds that could show well. I also raise the beautiful mottled variety, and again, it takes years to get a decent line going. With all of the challenges of raising birds, the pure enjoyment of seeing a new baby hatch is always worth the trouble. Have a good breeding/hatching season to all of the fowl enthusiasts out there.

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'm sure that your wealth of experience will be of great benefit to other members. Please make yourself at home and good luck with the inspection tomorrow.

Best wishes

CT

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, humid areas that don't see big winters can breed all kinds of nasties. It sure can be a challenge. Good luck with the inspections!

You might stop by the Rosecomb thread. Lots of members chatting there about their flocks and the breed.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/372105/rosecomb-thread

Good luck with all your projects! Keep up all your activity and love for chickens, it sure keeps you young!! :)

Welcome to our flock!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I admire your dedication to improving your breed. That is a lot of time to devote. I'm sure we would love to see photos of some of your birds.

6. orpington13

orpington13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by