freedomsfire

Hatching
Jun 11, 2016
Hello,

I have been raising chickens for a couple years but decided to get more involved and seek advice, hints and tips from others. We currently have 10 chickens and a rooster. Breeds? 3 are leghorns. 3 are grey and the rest are red. No idea on breeds of these.
We also have 3 geese, 3 turkeys, and about a dozen ducks. The ducks and geese are the wife's idea and the turkeys and chickens are mine.
We live on 40 acres in Eastern Colorado.
We will also be raising yaks which will be arriving later this month.
I look forward to being a part of the community here.

Hi and welcome to our community - glad that you have joined us. You certainly seem to have a great mix of birds there! Good luck with the Yaks.

All the best
CT

Hi and welcome! I also live in Colorado but west of Colo Springs. I have 5 Buff Orpingtons, 4 Pekin ducks and 1 Khaki Campbell. I've been thinking about turkeys. Are they easy to care for? What do they need for shelter?

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. That's a great mix of birds you have.

Hi and welcome!  I also live in Colorado but west of Colo Springs.  I have 5 Buff Orpingtons, 4 Pekin ducks and 1 Khaki Campbell.  I've been thinking about turkeys.  Are they easy to care for?  What do they need for shelter?

Hi! I raise turkeys too. They are similar to chickens, but bigger and dumber. They require about the same things and types of shelter as chickens. They need a high protein feed such as a flock raiser or gamebird maintenance feed. They lay fewer eggs and are seasonal layers; eggs taste rich and are speckled. Note that they are susceptible to different diseases than chickens but that chickens may carry these diseases and spread them to turkeys. The main one is called Blackhead. Some people will tell you that if you keep chickens and turkeys together all your birds will die, the world will fall from its axis, fire will rain from the sky... etc. Others will claim to have had them together for 30 years without an issue. Really it all boils down to whether or not Blackhead is in your soil. If you want to keep your turkeys with or near your chickens then you risk them dying; but they may well be just fine as well. However, turkeys can be a bit mean to the chickens, and if you can afford not to take the risk, there's no reason to; so if you can house them separately, that's generally the best option.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours! :)

Back
Top Bottom