Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by drsauls, Oct 2, 2016.

1. drsauls

drsauls New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    Hi Everybody! I am a new member. I do not have chickens but I love everything about them. When I was very small, my uncle raised bantams and I would beg to go to his house to feed them. If you guys don't mind someone in your group living vicariously through your animals I think I might be of some use to the group. I am a research writer and am very good at bringing information together. Or I may just mind my own business and just enjoy the beautiful birds and learn about them. Anyway I wanted to introduce myself,

Allison

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Allison, and :welcome. Great to have here. Of course we don't mind. BYC has among its members current, former, and future poultry owners? Are you in that last group? :fl

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi Allison, welcome to BYC!

This is an awesome place to learn about chickens, and your writing skills will be put to good use here! The Learning Center is always looking for helpful and informative new Member Pages, and there is currently an article writing contest going on as well! Feel free to submit a few articles; we need more entries.

Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Allison and welcome to BYC. Having chickens is certainly not a prerequisite either for being a member, or enjoying your time here. Please make yourself at home.

Best wishes
    CT

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad to have you join us. There's always room here for Chicken Lovers [​IMG]

If you enjoy research and writing with a love of poultry, you may be interested in the Member Pages and Learning Center - I don't think you have to own a flock to submit articles.

I follow the Hatch-a-Longs for the same reason - no plans to ever do hatching, but would love to and can get a glimpse of the experience in those forums [​IMG]

But do be warned, if your area allows small or large flocks, you may catch the bug and be compelled to get your own. [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad to have you in the BYC flock Allison. You are most definitely welcome here.[​IMG]

7. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    :welcome Allison! You are definitely welcome here and I'm sure that your writing skills will benefit so many people! And who knows, maybe eventually you'll become a chicken owner! ;)

8. jordiemann

jordiemann New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    Hi, my name is Jordie. I live in the State line of Kansas and Colorado, just inside Colorado. (The property line where the girls are is the State line!)

We have about 30-40 birds of several breeds. They all get along well. We have a large coop and run and they share it with some geese police and a few ducks. I've got the run outfitted with several night lights and a hot wire running along the bottom. Plus, we have chicken wire lining the bottom that is folded at the bottom into the yard. We live amongst the coyotes and foxes and we have dogs so all the protection is needed. I need to put a net on top though to protect against the owl and hawk migration.

We are winterizing the coop and yard today, scooping the poop in the yard and house. I am bringing in sand for the floor and outside as well by the house to help with drainage and rodent control.

Thanks for all the information. I consistently find myself looking up various questions and I'm grateful as are my girls (I'm sure) that you all are out there.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. lovechicks1293

lovechicks1293 Chillin' With My Peeps

hello and [​IMG] from Michigan!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by